CBSE NCERT Solutions for Class 6th English Chapter 1 : ‘Who Did Patrick’s Homework and A House, A Home’ (Poem) Honeysuckle English
Page No: 11
Working with Text
Answer the following questions. (Refer to that part of the text whose number is given against the question. This applies to the comprehension questions throughout the book.)
1. What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was it really? (2)
Patrick thought that his cat was playing with a little doll but it was really a man of the tiniest size.
2. Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish? (2)
The little man granted Patrick a wish because he wanted to get free from cat.
3. What was Patrick’s wish? (3)
Patrick wanted the little man to do all his homework till the end of the semester, which was for 35 days.
4. In what subjects did the little man need help, to do Patrick’s homework? (5,6)
The little man needed Patrick’s help in English, Maths and human history.
5. How did Patrick help him? (7)
Patrick helped him by consulting a dictionary, guiding the little man in doing sums in arithmetic and read out portions from history book.
6. Who do you think did Patrick’s homework – the little man, or Patrick himself? Give reasons for your answer. (9,10)
It was not the little man but Patrick himself had did his homework as little man did not know anything, in English, maths and human history. Patrick had to consult dictionary, guide him with maths and help him to read too. He stayed up at nights and worked hard. Therefore, it was Patrick who did the homework.
Working with Language
A. Fill in the blanks in the sentences below with the words or phrases from the box. (You may not know the meaning of all the words. Look such words up in a dictionary, or ask your teacher.)
out of luck, mystery, true to his word, chores, semester, between you and me, look up
1. Some people find household ______ a bore, but I like to help at home.
2. Who stole the diamond is still a ______.
3. This ______ we are going to have a class exhibition.
4. ______, the elf began to help Patrick.
► True to his word
5. Can you ______ this word in the dictionary?
► look up
6. I started early to be on time, but I was ______. There was a traffic jam!
► out of luck
7. She says she’s got a lot of books, but ______ I think most of them are borrowed.
► between you and me
Page No: 12
B. Use the clues given below to complete this crossword puzzle.
1. very tired
2. had an angry look on the face
3. short trousers
4. a fault in a machine that prevents it from working properly
5. a small and naughty boy-fairy
6. work that must be done everyday, often boring
7. a basket with a lid
8. gave a short, high-pitched cry
A House, A Poem (Poem)
– Lorraine M. Halli
Page No: 16
Working with Poem
1. Do you agree with what the poet says? Talk to your partner and complete these sentences.
(i) A house is made of —————————————————––——— .
(ii) It has ————————————————————————————— .
(iii) A home is made by —————————————————––——— .
(iv) It has —————————————––——————————————— .
(i) A house is made of brick, stone, cement, hard wood, window glass, and a yard.
(ii) It has eaves, chimneys, tile floors, stucco, roof, and lots of doors.
(iii) A home is made by family members.
(iv) It has unselfish acts, sharing, and caring for the loved ones.