CBSE NCERT Solutions for Class 6th Geography Chapter 6 : Major Landforms Of The Earth. NCERT Class 6 Geography Social Science Solutions. NCERT Class 6 Geography Social Studies Sst Textbook The Earth: Our Habitat Chapter 6 Solutions
The major landforms of the earth are Mountains, Plateaus and Plains.
|It is a naturally elevated surface of the earth.||It is an elevated flat land.|
|It is higher than the surrounding area.||It is a flat-topped land that stands above the surrounding area.|
|Mountains have peaks||Plateaus are flattened highlands|
(c) What are the different types of mountains?
(d) How are mountains useful to man?
• They have a rich variety of flora and fauna.
• The forests provide fuel, fodder, shelter and other products like gum, raisins, etc.
• Mountains provide an idyllic site for tourists.
• Several sports like paragliding, hang gliding, river rafting and skiing are popular in the mountains.
(e) How are plains formed?
Most of the plains are formed by rivers and their tributaries. The rivers flow down the slopes of mountains and erode them. They carry forward the eroded material. Then they deposit their load consisting of stones, sand and silt along their courses and in their valleys. It is from these deposits that plains are formed.
(f) Why are the river plains thickly populated?
The river plains thickly populated as more flat land is available for building houses, as well as for cultivation.
(g) Why are mountains thinly populated?
The mountains are thinly populated because of harsh climate. Also, the slopes are steep, less land
is available for farming.
2. Tick the correct answers.
(a) The mountains differ from the hills in terms of
► (i) elevation
(b) Glaciers are found in
(i) the mountains
(ii) the plains
(iii) the plateaus
► (i) the mountains
(c) The Deccan Plateau is located in
► (iii) India
(d) The river Yangtze flows in
(i) South America
► (iii) China
(e) An important mountain range of Europe is
(i) the Andes
(ii) the Alps
(iii) the Rockies
► (ii) the Alps
3. Fill in the blanks.
1. A ___________ is an unbroken flat or a low-level land.
2. The Himalayas and the Alps are examples of _______________types of mountains.
3. _____________ areas are rich in mineral deposits.
4. The _________________ is a line of mountains.
5. The ____________areas are most productive for farming.
On an outline map of the world, mark the following :
(a) Mountain ranges: Himalayas, Rockies and Andes.
(b) Plateau : Tibet.